Did you know that remodeling your home or personal space can be the ultimate launchpad to jumpstart your career in interior design?
In this episode, I share the wisdom gained from the recent renovation of my home, highlighting the significance of treating your home as a training ground to refine your design skills and to understand the project management part of an interior design project.
Being your client also prepares you for the challenges your future clients might face.
If you are looking for ways to jumpstart your interior design career, don’t miss this opportunity to turn your home into a portfolio masterpiece. Tune in now and unlock the potential within your walls!
Why you’ve got to check out today’s episode
- Discover the hands-on approach to interior design project management and decision-making
- Explore the practical side of design by turning your home into a personalized laboratory
- Understand the intricacies of communication with trades, managing deficiencies, and wrapping up finishing details—all on your dime before you embark on professional projects
Check out these episode highlights
01:52 – Why remodeling your home is one of the best training grounds to understand the project management part of an interior design project
03:59 – Designing your home vs. designing for clients
05:14 – The challenge of designing your home, especially when it comes to curating a cohesive look and dealing with budget constraints
06:14 – The benefits of designing your own space or home
- Build your portfolio
- Practice project management
- Test out tradespeople
- Build your A-team
- Gain experience and confidence
07:22 – My best advice to any designer who is just starting and doesn’t have a project: use your own space to develop your portfolio and learn paint color selection
09:00 – How designing your own space or home helps you to learn how to help your clients
You can practice curating and decorating.
You can manage deficiencies and ensure timely finishing details.
Take the QUIZ!! Find Out What Type of Interior Designer You Should Be!
Grab your freebies:
Join the Design Mentor to kickstart a successful career in interior design!
Check out the best books every interior designer should have here.
Email me at [email protected] if you have suggested topics
DM me on Instagram at @rwarddesign if you have a burning question
Leave me a rating and review! Click here.
- Episode 65: Want to Create Mindful Spaces? Learn First the Psychology of Design & Environmental Psychology
- Episode 71: Exploring Color Theory in Interior Design
Thanks for listening. I hope this helps you discover if interior design is the career for you. See you next week…