Looking for mentorship to help you launch your interior design career or start your design business?
Look no further!
In today’s episode, I am giving you an inside look at My Design Mentor program, a 12-module mentorship program that will guide you from being a non-designer to a successful designer.
The My Design Mentor program covers topics like employee vs. entrepreneur decisions, managing finances and mindset, honing practical design skills, understanding client psychology, dealing with professional ethics, working with trades, specializing in niches, perfecting kitchen and bath design, specifying custom details, and mastering essential business practices.
It offers more than just content; it also provides a supportive community where you can seek guidance and connect with peers.
If you are an aspiring designer, fresh to the field, or looking to switch paths, don’t miss out on this episode that opens the door to an enriching mentorship program and the potential to kickstart a rewarding career in interior design.
Why you’ve got to check out today’s episode
- Explore the My Design Mentor program and gain an understanding of its 12-module mentorship
- Learn the benefits of joining the My Design Mentor program
- Assess whether the 12-module mentorship can help you move forward in your design career and business
Check out these episode highlights
01:44 – What to expect if you join the My Design Mentor
- a community hosted in Mighty Network
- a 12-module mentorship program broken into four sections
The 12-Module Mentorship Program
03:01 – First Section – Go For It
Module 1: Employee versus Entrepreneurs
Help you to decide which direction you should go: to work for someone else or start your design business
Module 2: Money and Mindset Management
Module 3: Practical Skills
Ways to develop your skills before landing your first job:
- How to measure a space
- How to develop a floor plan
- How to put together a design
05:32 – Second Section – On The Job
Module 4: Design Psychology and Counseling Clients
- How to navigate client personalities, wish lists, budgets
- How to design to improve client’s lives
Module 5: Problem-Solving and Professional Ethics
- How to handle problems as they come up
Module 6: Working With Trades
- How to give trade information
- How to communicate with contractors, subcontractors, vendors, reps
- How to deal with typical job site scenarios
07:04 – Third Section – Specializing
Module 7: Niches and Why It Works
- Finding your ideal client
- How to speak to your ideal client with authenticity
Module 8: Kitchen and Bath Design
- The basics of kitchen and bath design
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
Module 9: Customization
- How to specify custom case goods upholstery, window coverings, etc
- How to create unique custom details for your client, adding your signature on
08:45 – Fourth Section – Practicing Business
Module 10: Design Business Practices
- How to start your design business
- How to run your processes and procedures
Module 11: Sales and Marketing
- The psychology of how sales work
- How marketing can be so beneficial for your business
- Templates and layouts with tips and tricks
Module 12: Professional Development
About having a growth mindset
- The organizations you might want to join to take you to the next level of your career
11:08 -Exclusive features of the My Design Mentor
- A book club (a recommended reading list) for design students
- Twice-a-year portfolio and resume review to help you align your materials with what a designer-employer would be looking for in a prospective hire
- Business starter kit
12:46 – The business starter kit within the platform includes:
- Checklists on how to get your business started
- Procedures and details on how to run a business
Take the QUIZ!! Find Out What Type of Interior Designer You Should Be!
Grab your freebies:
Join the Design Mentor to kickstart a successful career in interior design!
Check out the best books every interior designer should have here.
Email me at [email protected] if you have suggested topics
DM me on Instagram at @rwarddesign if you have a burning question
Leave me a rating and review! Click here.
Thanks for listening. I hope this helps you discover if interior design is the career for you. See you next week…