Do you need help keeping your interior design clients satisfied?
I’m here to help you!
Today, I’m sharing my 7-step process to help you navigate your client’s pain points and ensure they feel informed and invested. This proactive approach ensures a successful outcome every time!
You see, when it comes to design, managing expectations is crucial. And one of the best ways to do this is by making sure everyone involved understands what will happen every step of the way. That way, you can avoid disappointments or frustrations later down the line!
So listen to this week’s episode and gain access to the tools needed for managing your client’s expectations like a pro.
Why you’ve got to check out today’s episode
- Examine the 7-step interior design process and its highs and lows from start to finish
- Compare the different perspectives of designers and clients in each phase
- Define your role as an interior designer and discover the benefits of having happier clients
Accessible and generalizable “This show is so easy to understand. The content is clear and empowering. It’s accessible for those curious about design and how it works but also has practical insight for daily life. Solid skills and mindset that can be applied to other arenas as well.” – KayOrca –
Check out these episode highlights
01:34 – My 7-Step Interior Design Process: Its Highs and Lows From Start to Finish
High Point: Designer and Client, the honeymoon phase for both
STEP No. 1: Initial Consultation
STEP No. 2: Gathering Phase
- Collect measurements and photos of the space
- Get the client’s design style
- Hone in on what the scope of work is, what they need in their space, and what they want to see to make it work for them and their lifestyle
02:42 – STEP No. 3: Design Phase
High Point: Designer
- Curate the design
- Pull finishes
- Do space plan and layout
- Play with and work on the puzzle to figure it all out
Low Point: Client
- The client does not hear from the designer who needs to be focused and efficient on the design process rather than feedback.
- The client does not see anything tangible at this point despite paying a lot of money in hourly fees.
04:05 – STEP No. 4: Presentation Phase
High Point: Client
- See the beautiful design and are inspired by it
- Excited about what the vision of the house is going to look like
- Touch and feel all the fabrics
- Visualize everything as you walk them through the space
04:39 – STEP No. 5: Implementation Phase, aka The Hardest Part
Low Point: Client
- The order process takes time.
- They’re sitting and waiting while spending more money on a house they can’t appreciate yet.
PRO TIP No. 1: Remind them to go back and look at the presentation documents so they see the project direction and hold on to hope that there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
PRO TIP No. 2: Check in with them to help manage their expectations. Also, send a gift to thank them for being such troopers through the process.
05:57 – STEP No. 6: Installation Phase
High Point: Designer and Client
- Bring in the furniture
- Stage everything
- Accessorize and set it up, making it look picture perfect
PRO TIP: Send your client out so they can’t see it for a few days. Tell them to come back when you’re done, so they’ll get a walk through the door, and their house will be completely transformed and ready to be lived in.
06:36 – STEP No. 7: Conclusion
Low Point: Client
- Furniture delays
- Unfinished processes
- Deficiencies requiring replacements
07:38 – Why it’s important to tell your clients not only during the initial consultation but also along the way about the highs and lows of the interior design process
- They know what to expect.
- They won’t feel frustrated or disappointed.
- They need guidance through the design or remodeling process.
8:17 – The role of the designer and the benefits of having happier clients
ROLE: Manage expectations by telling them the truth about the project
BENEFITS: Get referrals and repeat clients
In summary, my 7-Step Interior Design Process: Its Highs and Lows From Start to Finish are:
STEP No. 1 – Initial Consultation
STEP No. 2 – Gathering Phase
STEP No. 3 – Design Phase
STEP No. 4 – Presentation Phase
STEP No. 5 – Implementation Phase
STEP No. 6 – Installation Phase
STEP No. 7 – Conclusion
Grab your freebies:
Join the Design Mentor to kickstart a successful career in interior design!
Email me at [email protected] if you have suggested topics
DM me on Instagram at @rwarddesign if you have a burning question
Leave me a rating and review! Click here.
Thanks for listening. I hope this helps you discover if interior design is the career for you. See you next week…